Skilled Trades of West Alabama is changing lives. With a mission to build a highly skilled, qualified and prepared workforce for the construction industry in Tuscaloosa County and West Alabama, we offer opportunities for apprenticeships and training in the construction trades. With a high demand for and a shortage of skilled, ready-to-work employees and tradesmen, opportunities exist now to build a high-paying, successful career.
Skilled Trades of West Alabama was opened in September, 2020 during the midst of the pandemic, to meet the growing demand for skilled craftsmen for the construction industry. Our program has seen exceptional growth and impact with plans for future expansion.
- A recognized, award-winning model for construction industry craft development
- Employer-based and led 501 (c) 3 not-for-profit organization focused only on the construction trades.
- Registered apprenticeship programs with the Alabama Office of Apprenticeship and the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Allows for on-the-job training coupled with classroom instruction.
- NCCER certified instructors.
- Instruction is aligned with NCCER construction curriculum.
- Completion of programs can lead to licensing, journeyman status and other credentials.
- Defined career path leading to higher wages
- Minimal or no costs for students and participating employers
Skilled Trades of West Alabama is a registered apprenticeship program through the Alabama Office of Apprenticeships and is funding partner of the Alabama Construction Crafts Training Board.
Skilled Trades of West Alabama has been recognized as an effective model workforce development program for the construction industry.